Happy Birthday, Internet. You Are 25 Years Old Today
I want to take this opportunity to wish a very happy birthday to the greatest guy in the area of technology. His name is
Just think about it. 25 years ago today, certain terminology had a different meaning from what it has today.
- A guy by the name of Craig and a girl named Angie actually had hand-written lists.
- The word, ghost, was a noun, and referred to someone coming back from the dead. Now, ghost is a verb, meaning that your ad will not be posted, and you have been double-crossed.
- A web was something you would find in your house if you didn’t clean it regular.
- When you heard the terms, http, html, url, and xml, you may have thought they were small colleges that found a way to get into the NCAA Basketball tournament.
- People thought blog was a temporary ailment, similar to the gout.
- Spam was only something that could be purchased in a supermarket. It was in a can, and loaded with fat and cholesterol.
- A bookmark was an IBM card that you placed in a book so you would not lose your place.
- Social Media was simply hanging around the local Lion’s Club, Rotary Club, etc. Some may have thought of it as a disease.
- A tag was only something that the law required you to put on your car once a year.
- Cookie was only a small, crunchy, delicious snack treat.
- Yahoo meant that you were excited about something.
- Java was a tune made famous by the legendary trumpet player, Al Hirt.
- Password was a TV game show hosted by the late, great Allen Ludden.
- Ping was mostly known for their golf clubs.
- A server was only someone who brought food to your table.
- People contacted viruses, not machines.
- People who did a lot of research had to drive back and forth to the library. Now, the library is all but obsolete.
- Facebook could have been a number of things. It could have been a book for women on how to apply makeup in different ways. It could also have been a book on how to make hundreds of funny faces.
- Amazon was only a river in South America.
- Words like Google, Fark, Twitter and Wiki did not exist. If your were caught saying these words, someone would have thought you were trying to re-invent the English language, and they would have had you put is a straight jacket.
- CPA was the guy who did your taxes every year. Now, it means Cost Per Action.
- Internet was associated with fishing. Of course, this may still be true today.
Happy Birthday WORLD WIDE WEB.